What Is an EMT
The mission and purpose this position is to compassionately deliver high-quality service, as well as basic patient care in a professional, caring and cost-effective manner.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assess each call situation to determine best course of action and appropriate protocol.
- Utilize medical equipment and procedures including gurney, oxygen, airway equipment/airway bag, splints, bandages, and other procedures as required to provide basic medical care.
- Develop and utilize triage skills to provide optimal efficiency during calls.
- Provide patient care according to clinical protocols and safety requirements.
- Lift and move patients as required to provide optimum care.
- Communicate with receiving facility to receive medical direction and to provide critical information.
- Communicate with patient and loved ones to provide information and assurance that care is being given, and to show compassion.
- Act as team leader and take responsibility for scene management as needed.
- Drive the ambulance and provide map-reading support to minimize call response time.
- Keep current on certifications.
- Communicate with dispatcher to receive and understand call data and customer feedback.
- Monitor and maintain the general condition of the unit, keep it clean and stocked for optimal call response to maintain the image of AMR.
- Document activities with regard to patient care and billing completely to ensure appropriate information is available for each call.
- Follow policies and procedures regarding out-of-chute times and turnaround times.
- Consider patient status and insurance preferred facilities when determining transportation destinations.
- Work collaboratively and in a professional manner with all allied health and public safety personnel at all times to ensure excellent customer service and the best possible patient care.
- Reports immediately to the on duty supervisor and/or account manager any incident involving a negative customer and/or patient interaction.
- Read road maps, drive vehicles, and accurately discern street signs and address numbers.
- Read medication/prescription labels and directions for usage in quick, accurate, and expedient manner.
- Communicate verbally with patients and significant others in various environments to interview patient, family members, and bystanders.
- Converse with dispatcher and EMS providers via phone or radio as to status of patient.
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures.
- Adherence to and compliance with information systems security is everyone’s responsibility.
Non-Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to successfully pass Physical Agility Test
- Aptitudes required for work of this nature are good physical stamina, endurance, and body condition that would not be adversely affected by frequently having to walk, stand, lift, carry, and balance at times.
- Must be able to lift, drag, hoist, and carry different types of equipment and other objects.
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED). Some advanced education preferred.
- Current San Diego County EMT-B accreditation.
- Possess a valid State Driver’s License.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS/CPR) certification for all EMT levels
- Driving record in compliance with AMR Safety and Driving policy.
- Some past work experience, preferably in healthcare desired.